RE: IML: more on alternators

I would like to add to the 1-wire alternator. I love them also. I installed one on my 56 Imperial and I love it. I know some will frown on it but I think you can make changes if there for the good. My ammeter stays steady even when the lights are turned on. Sure made the engine stand out and not covered up.

Tim
56 Imperial 2-dr
Bakersfield Ca

Mike Pittinaro <mechimike@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> add anything. I have not
> actually had the pleasure of fixing one of the later
> design alternators yet,
> but I have filed your excellent description for my
> own use, when the need arises.

What's that phrase, "Praise from Caesar"?

Dick, I didn't think you had ever even worked on an
alternator. Figured they were too new-fangled for
you. Doesn't one of those Packards have a vacuum
tube regulator? I'll bet you could design one!

I personally have become a sold-on fan of the newer,
one-wire alternators. I installed a 100 amp,
Delco-style model on my '67 volvo in place of its 30
amp generator and was stunned at the improvement. No
more flickering AMP light. No more varying-brightness
headlights. No more static in the AM radio. No more
bird's nest of wiring under the hood to the decrepit
Bosche regulator and that boat-anchor of a gennie.
Cost? About $70 for the alternator. Time? About 2
hours, and a custom-fabricated bracket. Hookup? One
4 gauge wire from the alternator to the battery.
That's it. The alternator self-grounds to the engine
(make sure your engine-body strap is in good shape!)

--Mike Pittinaro

'To Engineer' was never meant to signify poking around with a mouse on a Nintendo-on-steroids computer system.

'It's a shallow life that doesn't give a person a few scars'
-- Garrison Keillor