Re: IML: Rain and heaters

Donn,

I can't help you with your leaks but I can sure sympathise! I have a 67 Chrysler 300 convertible. The entire interior carpeting gets soaking wet whenever it rains! I finally took out the seats and took up the carpeting. Repaired any rusty areas (LUCKILY just surface rust without any rust through!) and treated with POR 15.

I can't keep the car in the garage because of other cars rightfully occupying it. So, I don't drive it in the rain and keep it under two car covers. So far this is working to keep the car dry inside.  The problems causing my interior flooding are different from yours however. The drainage system for the convertible top well is inadequate at best (poor design). So, I've been working on trying to track down the paths the water takes and then treating those areas to prevent rust. Eventually, I will have my "drains" enlarged to properly allow the water to escape and not back up and spill over onto the floor areas under the carpets!

I do understand what you mean by your statement that you are fixing things in your car you never had to fix in any other car before. I know the feeling!! I was a bit skeptical when I bought my 300 about a year and a half ago. I was expecting certain problems because it is a "big block" Mopar and I've never had good luck with big block Mopar engines before. What I was expecting was carburetor ice causing problems with keeping her from stalling in the cooler months, oil leaks, oil consumption, and cooling problems in the summer. To my surprise, I have NONE of the issues I expected, but boy am I encounter other issues I never expected or thought of!