Re: IML: Landau Top Question

Evin Koonts <ekenkade@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Good evening folks, I have a 1992 Imperial, and like so many of them, it has a vynal top, and I noticed that it is beginning to crack, I had it replaced, and I would like to know if there is anything that can stop my new one from cracking.
A garage.  ;o)

Seriously!  Vinyl tops (and dashes, seats, or anything else on a car that's made of vinyl) cracks due to damage from the sun (mainly the ultraviolet radiation).  The only way to preserve a vinyl top for the longterm is to keep it out of the sun as much as possible.

The vinyl top on my '70 Imperial is original and is 99% perfect (and the 1% flaw is a small tear off of a corner that happened when someone removed the piece of trim next to it).  This car was always garaged, which is what preserved the top.

Good luck!

Elijah

Imperial Power Window Switch Repair

Find Repair & Shop Manuals, Parts Books, History & More at The Imperial Bookshelf!

  My Collection of Imperials

1965 Imperial LeBaron
  1967 Chrysler Newport Custom Sedan
  1970 Imperial LeBaron