Re: IML: Starters - ND vs DDCP/Mopar

--- Bob Schmitt <bsbrbank@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

  then had a new
> NipponDenso starter put in 2
> days ago ($140) - very quiet and spins like crazy.
>
> Bob

I put a ND on my 66 to see.  It's mechanically more
perfect (ask for one of each at the parts counter - I
asked for a 94 Durango starter - and see for yourself
- it's a hell of a comparison when you lift and see
them!) and I'd bet on it lasting about 100,000 miles
longer, but it bothers me.

Its' high-pitched sound reminds me of the starter on
my motorcycle and other small cars.  To be fair,
that's its lineage, but it doesn't sound like a real
imperial.

If you care about that, beware.  If you care about
having a better, lighter, tighter, modern starter, the
ND unit is the way to go, despite a small bump in
price.

I'll likely revert to the old clunkers, as I use the
cars for pleasure and originality is my thing.  That
and I know just enough about what the car "should" be
that its sound bothers me, despite the obviously
irrational choice that I'll make in sticking with the
"worse" stock unit.  Almost every Imp that I have
gotten and been serious about has had its starter
replaced, often under undesireable circumstances (in a
parking lot).

Kenyon Wills