IML: 63 wheel locking question

Ok, my car has been non-driving for 2 years, I have run the engine. I have had to pull it with the truck to move it around the shop. I rebuild all the brakes but the car still doesn't want to budge. I traced the resistance to the rear drivers side, so i pulled the drum backed the brakes off a bit and sanded all rust from both surfaces. The drum went on easy, I had high hopes. NOW, the wheel turns easy for awhile then gets very hard. No rime on reason here; might turns easy for 1, 3, 4, or 7 turns then go hard. THEN, when I reverse direction it may be easy or hard. AND when it is hard it may stay hard or go easy again.
Thanks for the ideas,
Charles