IML: My '63 'Vert: Starting to see the end of the tunnel

IML: My '63 'Vert: Starting to see the end of the tunnel

Gang,
Thought I'd share some photos of my 'vert. Some might remember my recent move to Austin. The mover (Dependable Auto Shippers) dropped my Polara onto the trunk and rear-end of my Imperial crushing the rear header panel and bowing in the driver's side quarter panel by about an inch. It took nearly 6 months to get through a settlement with them before I got enough money to get both the Polara and the Imp repaired.

Once it went to the body shop back in Houston, it took an additional 9 months to get the car back (a whole other ordeal). Then, being stubburn, let the cars sit in the garage until I could finally face going out to put the car back together.

Anyway, here's some pictures.
   http://www.imperialclub.com/temp/MarkE/2006-09-10-Imperial/

The first 6 shots are of the car at the body shop. The body guy ground down the rear end area to see how bad the damage was. The first three show the car after he pulled out the valence panel below the trunk lid and fixed the trunk lid.

We did solve a mystery. The car had been hit from the front at some point and someone did some fancy filler work on it. Explains why the Imperial emblems were missing from the sides of the car. I had all of the filler pulled out and the panels reshaped properly.

The second row shows the car on the day I picked it up. There's the reason why I like white cars. The sides are nice and slick. All the metal work came out great.

The last row is the result of work over the last few weeks. I color sanded and buffed out the paint. I've been buffing stainless and chrome nearly every night. I got the rear bumper mounted on Saturday. Now, all I need to do is turn the car around and get the chrome on the front clip.

Starting to see the end of the tunnel!
Mark Evans
1963 Imperial Crown Convertible
http://www.imperialclub.org/~maevans/MyImperial/index.html