Sent: Thursday, September 14, 2006 6:36 AM
Subject: Re: IML: Side Marker Lamps/Reflectors

Some good points Chris.

IMO, turn signals should always be amber and stop lights should always be
red. It's simple logic. The rules of the road state that a flashing amber light means "CAUTION". You see those at construction zones etc where there
may be "something different happening".  A flashing red light means "STOP
and proceed with caution".  Many intersections have a flashing red light
coupled with a stop sign.  Many intersection signal lights will flash red
one direction and amber the other in non-peak hours. I fail to see why this convention has been broken on North American built vehicles. Have you ever followed a vehicle that incorporates the stop and turn signals into the same bulb? If the driver puts on the turn signal then pumps the brake some, you
can't tell what's going to happen as the red lights on both sides are
flashing.

Turn signals should always be amber, IMO.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Christopher H" <imperial67@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Wednesday, September 13, 2006 12:10 PM

Those fender-mounted turn signal lights (they are not side markers, even
though everyone calls them that) were not required in Europe/Japan in 1967-8 when the law took effect in the US, and the US carmakers and lawmakers were
not likely thinking about export markets for US products (few US-market
products even sell there today). I also don't believe Europe requires them
to be behind the front wheel: Porsche puts them where our market's front
side markers go, but they wrap into the wheel arch so they're visible from
the rear-side.

US cars only require one reverse lamp as well, believe it or not. The reason it's more common in Europe is that the EU also requires a red rear foglamp, which many automakers locate where the left reverse lamp would be. The only
vehicle I know of that is sold in the US with such a configuration is the
Mercedes G-Class.

As for the US cars getting the turn signal on the fender (or somewhere
visible), some carmakers already use it voluntarily. Many have adopted it in
the side mirror housings, which is more visible to pedestrians in front of
the car as well as vehicles in the next lane.

But looking at the degradation of lighting functionality despite all this
new lighting technology (there are several new cars from the US, Europe and
Asia that use cutting-edge LEDs for taillamps yet combine the brake, tail
and turn signal into a single red unit, when it doesn't take a scientist to
figure out that separate, and differently colored, rear lamps communicate
the driver's intentions faster). I asked a Chrysler designer rep about the
cheapo single-bulb taillamps on the base 300 and his defense of why there
were no amber signals was "they're not required by law."

We'll see what our new Imperial has if it gets the go-ahead, but I imagine
it'll be plain red unless the Fed steps in again. Maybe they'll pay a
tribute to 1969 and give us some sequentials!

Chris in LA