Re: IML: winch recommendations

The Warn that is about $1000 and is magnificent, with
a cast, sleek body and double the line speed of
others.

They just released one with an air compressor that
would be handy if you're doing much recovery.  A car
with inflated tires makes all the difference.

Warn controls are better, and you get a nice sticker,
beating the baseball cap that the MM comes with.  I
splintered my 9000ti into about 15 pieces pulling on a
car that had a tree grown into it that I didn't see.
Warn was justifiably unsympathetic when I tried to
turn it in for repair.

I replaced it with a $600 Mile Marker that I burned
out pulling logs, which I should not have been doing
according to the instructions.  I got a warranty
replacement and it works fine for pulling cars with
flat tires onto my trailer that has bumpy,
farm-implement style ramps (as in not smooth).

Get the largest winch that you can is my advice.
Being at the upper limit of the thing will strain it
and kill it faster.

Mine is mounted to a plate that goes into a trailer
hitch.  I have a hitch on the truck (no trailer) and a
hitch on the trailer.  I use a locking dowel to keep
the winch wherever it is placed when I'm not around,
and this is important.

I have a triple-reinforced bumper on the truck.  I
took a steel tube and had a square tube welded to it.
I then had a smaller square post that fits in the
square tube fitted with D-rings, handles for carrying,
and a loop at the far end.  I anchor this to the
D-rings welded into the bed of the truck and use the
snatch-block (get one - they are indispensible and
cheap).  The upside down T goes on the bumper with the
 leg of the T sticking up in the air.  This results in
a "tail" boom that hangs off the end of the truck, not
unlike a tow-truck.

Spooling the cable over the snatch block allows me to
pick up and move engines around - required because Doc
Bullock had 100 of the things on a large property that
I went through.

Speaking of which, there are about 20 "413" engines
and 2 straight eights there that he wants gone.
Anyone desiring a 413 core - mostly 63-65, can have
one if they come and get it.  Offer ends soon when
they go to the smelter.

---

The other winch item worth getting is a large hook
that I sourced from a local tow-truck vendor.  The
thing has a hook that is semi-circular and is better
for grabbing cars in muck where you don't want to be
on your back threading a teeny winch hook around
cross-members and so forth.

Kenyon Wills