IML: Fwd: 1955 wiring all done and car started first time in over a year

IML: Fwd: 1955 wiring all done and car started first time in over a year!

-----Original Message-----
From: imperial55coupe@xxxxxxxx
To: randalpark@xxxxxxx
Sent: Thu, 19 Oct 2006 7:28 AM
Subject: 1955 wiring all done and car started first time in over a year!

Dear Paul,

Greetings from Sweden again and a short story about our car which I would like
share with the IML.

As some of you may know I've been working on making a complete new wiring system
my car all by myself together with my wife.

The other day I found myself in the pleasant, and at the same time terrifying
position that all of the wiring was suddenly done. Every single cable had been
redone, put in place and I had checked all connections and markings at least a
hundred times so there were no longer any excuses not to put the current on.
I started to connect a wire with a fuse on between the battery and the battery
cable
in case there should have been any short circuits. Nothing happened so I
carefully
started to check all electrical functions, one by one. First the lights, then
the
panel lights, then the head lights, fans and so on. As I went through all
functions
a big grin spread on my face as this was the end of quite some project. Believe
it
or not but everything worked first time and I think this was due to very
thorough
preparation and marking of each and every cable. The last of the functions to
test
was the horn. I was amazed how loud the are, before the wiring must only have
allowed half the current to reach them because now they are much louder than
before.
New wires, cleaned and polished connectors really do miracles!
So there I was, alone in my garage with the only thing left to check wheather or
not
the car would start. With a fire extinguisher handy and a trembling heart I
turned
the key over. I had not primed the carburetor so I had little hope it would fire
up
but low and behold, it did!
It ran as smooth as ever after some ticking valve noise before oil pressure
would
build up. Then it purred like a kitten and I let it run long enough to build up
some
heat before turning it off again. I did not take it for a drive since I have the
interior left to reassemble. However we will order a new carpet for it so the
interior will have to wait until we get that.

Along with doing new wires I have also refurbished some connectors and motors to
fans and power window. I'd be happy to share experience from this project with
anyone of you thinking about doing the same.

Well, that's it for now from us.

Best regards,

Rickard & Anna Sporre, Katrineholm SWEDEN
www.imperialclub.com/Yr/1955/Sporre/index.htm
1955 Imperial & 1969 Ford Mustang Mach1