IML: Will any old "diesel" oil do? NO!!!

IML: Will any old "diesel" oil do? NO!!!

Key to finding the right diesel oil will be looking for an oil that forgoes
gas engine ratings alltogether.  They are out there, though Rotella is not
one of them.

We will likely see a new class of oils in the coming years -- akin to race
oils, these will be what big industrial equipment are now running.  These
oils are better for old engines than new oils and it will become more
evident that running an SM (or later) oil is just a death sentence for an
old engine.

What is clear is that JUST looking for a "diesel" oil is NOT going to be
sufficient.  You need a diesel oil that is made for non-catalytic engines,
and thus you can forget about gas engine and small diesel engine
applications.  Consumer diesel and gas oils are on a converging track.

Indeed, mostly its about the zinc.  There are products out there that aim to
boost the ZDDP content, but I hate to mess with chemistry. Most, if not all
oils are pretty well engineered and you are taking chances when you pour in
stuff from different companies (or even different products from the same
company).

It is true that the critical moment is the break in process.  Thus, many
older engines will work for a while, maybe a long time, with "modern" oils.
But to suggest that the modern formulations that are designed to spare
catalytic converter life are "superior" to other oils is a fallacy.

Have fun....

dch....