Re: IML: Original key blanks

From: Kenyon Wills <imperialist1960@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: IML: plastic golden lion emblems 1960

Also I would like to find some original keys
that would fit an ignition switch, that I also need

Original 196o Imperial keys are gold-anodized
aluminum.  They are unavailable unless you're ready to
spend $300-$500 for a set (I was) and are prepared to
camp out on ebay for a few years to duke it out with
everyone else IF they come up.  You'll want the
matching golden trunk key as well.

I kept the original aluminum keys from my '62 when it was wrecked, and discovered to my amusement and pleasure that they fit my '69! Sure, they aren't right for the year, but I like using them anyway. I suppose an alternate plan might be going around to junkyards and seeing if any of their cars have the originals, and they fit your car. I've found that old lock shops often have blanks in the pattern of late '50s - early '60s Dodges (the 'boomerangs' logo). They aren't right for an Imperial, but at least they look old and are from the right manufacturer. I've used them for spare sets for my Imperials in the past.
   -Kle.
'69 Crown 4DHT