Re: IML: 64 Exhaust Mending

Title: Re: IML: 64 Exhaust Mending
Is this a haiku?

> manifolds are fine pipes aged thin.

Seriously, exhaust pipes can be custom-bent without much cost or effort by any competent muffler shop, and the mufflers can be chosen to match the original size. My recommendation would be to leave as much if it intact as possible so a muffler shop can tell what it’s supposed to look like and what goes where.

There is an illustration of the ‘64’s exhaust system in the FSM, and it’s on our website:

  http://imperialclub.com/Yr/1964/FSM/html/11-002.htm

This is not one of those items that can no longer be duplicated.

I have a 1974 Midas lifetime guarantee on my ‘67 and they are still able to honor it and do the work while I wait. The biggest challenge is to make sure they arch the rear section (tailpipe) so it ends up flush with the rear bumper, out of sight. Protruding, straight tailpipes do not belong on an Imperial. You will probably need to explain how you want this done, but you can just print this page and show them the proper way.

Have fun, this is an easy one! (But this does need to be addressed before you drive the car, as exhaust leaks are dead serious. Listen to your Aunt Gabby!)

Chris in LA
67 Crown
78 NYB Salon