Re: IML: Carter AFB-64 LeBaron

Title: Re: IML: Carter AFB-64 LeBaron
About the only way an improper rebuild can permanently damage a carb in such a way that another rebuild won’t cure (especially an aluminum-body unit such as the AFB) is if the upper and lower bodies are screwed together too tightly, warping the body. After that, everything that was done wrong would be re-done during the next rebuild anyway. (Unless, of course, it was horribly mangled, but then the carb wouldn’t have likely worked immediately as of the mangled job).

If you can find a rebuilt stock unit, try it. But save your core and have it rebuilt if you don’t feel up to attempting it on your own, despite Elijah’s encouragement.

The Carter AFB on my ‘67 is the unit it was born with, and it’s a wonderful carb, fully functional and as far as my car’s well-documented repair history shows, only rebuilt once (and then only because the accelerator pump was shot...everything else operated perfectly, even the choke and pulloff). My car has 124,000 miles, so there is a good chance yours has not been rebuilt that many times after all.

Chris in LA
67 Crown
78 NYB Salon