RE: IML: trunk restoration for my 1968 convert

RE: IML: trunk restoration for my 1968 convert

Tom,

If you are sure the rust is superficial, I'd suggest using OSPHO or a
similar product to reduce the chances that the rust will continue.  Since
you aren't going for a judged-show trunk (I wouldn't make any
recommendations then), a little off-color paint should be acceptable.
Mostly, from my experience, the OSPHO will simply wash off the areas where
the paint is intact, maybe with some discoloration.  I like POR 15, and what
I've painted with it has remained unchanged for close to ten years so far.
Once it's dry, other paint doesn't stick well.  Where I wanted body color,
on metal I replaced in the trunk and  floorboard of a Dart, I let the POR 15
dry for a while, but while it was still a little tacky, I sprayed the
repaired area with a very light coat of rattle can primer.  When I shot the
car, the primer and body color stuck fine.

I've used a similar product, Metal-Prep I think, that was intended to clean
and etch bare metal before the primer.  It was much milder than OSPHO, and
didn't bother my hands.  Don't know if it's just me, or if all experience
it, but a little exposure to OSPHO makes my hands swell and burn.  Thin
nitrile gloves are a good investment.

Good luck.

Michael