Re: IML: dual point distributor questions

If your distributor has 4 lobes on the point cam, then its a double life, if there's 8 then its a standard dual point. It doesn't matter either way, pull the dist. and set each set of points VERY carefully to .018-.019
re-time the engine, throw you dwell meter in the bottom drawer of your tool box, and DRIVE. The dwell will allways be in spec, if you set the points as described. Ya'll have a nice day ,Dave
From: therichardsonfamily@xxxxxxxxxxx
Does my dual point Mallory use one set of points to fire only 4 cylinders, and the other set for the other 4 cylinders?  That would double the point life, right?  Or does one set fire all 8 cylinders, and the other set fire all 8 - just alternating between each other?  I just don't get how the dual points work.

It almost seems that the Chysler dual point in the FSM, has both points firing the same cylinder at the same time.  That would be the reduction in current flow through each, right?  At the same time, allowing a higher current flow on each fire.  That set-up would also allow one set to be insulated while you check the dwell on the other with the engine running, right?

My Mallory looks as though one set opens when the other is closed.  That would not allow a dwell check with one set insulated.  Am I seeing that correctly?  That is why I'm asking if one set fires only 4 cylinders.

I assume the advantage in pulling the distributor when setting the points, is that you can turn the shaft to be exactly on the lobe, thus getting a more exact gap.  I'll need to open them up a bit, I'm at .014 while checking it installed.  How many miles can I expect to get out of a set of points?

As always, thanks for all the help,

Dan Richardson
300L Family Heirloom