IML: cooling system flush questions

Hello experts:

Some super duper, heavy duty, clean the block questions:

My '67, 440cid, Imperial engine has some major crud in the cooling system of the block.  I had anticipated pulling the engine and rebuilding everything - now I'm finding it still runs strong and I think I will try cleaning it out while still in the car.

I've read the web-site regarding freeze plugs etc. - now I have some flushing questions.  The radiator is now brand new and not been used.  I want to flush the block and pull freeze plugs to get the gunk out.

Is there some type of solvent/cleaner I could send through the block to help loosen the gook?  Any other advice on cleaning out some probably very clogged up coolant passages?

I will set up bypasses for the new radiator and old heater core to prevent any dis-lodged gook from causing more problems.  Is there a backflush or pressure-flush strategy for the heater core, as it would stand alone?  Any other experience to share?

Thanks in advance for the help.

Dan Richardson
300L Family Heirloom