Re: IML: Freeze plugs on 81

I wouldn't touch them until they actually start leaking or if you want to check them to be able to sleep better at night, take a relatively blunt screwdriver and hit them a little and see if they break through or dent from the hit..frost plugs are very pretty thick usually and even when they look really rusted, they are usually still thick enough to hold the pressure in...I live where they salt the roads severely in winter so we get much heavier rusting than what most Americans are used to It's amazing how rusty a car can get and still be functional...I broke a brake line due to rust in Texas once with a Canadian car and pulled into the garage to get it fixed and the mechanic didn't want to touch it as he thought the whole car was beyond repair and should be scrapped on the spot because the underside was too rusty!..I had to borrow his tools and remove my own brake line to get myself back on the road as he was scared to touch it!....The car still drove for another 4 years!... So I think you might get a second opinion, maybe this mechanic is just looking to make an easy $800....
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Thursday, November 30, 2006 6:57 PM
Subject: IML: Freeze plugs on 81

Ok, just had my car taken to a shop to be inspected.

The guy checked out the undercarriage and we both saw that every one
of my freeze plugs are bad, ranging from pretty corroded, to just
starting to corrode. He tells me that the way the frame is built,
they would need to actually remove the engine in order to replace
them all. Most of them seem removable where they are, but a couple
are behind the frame.. He tells me that with this car, the bracket is
built into the frame and they'd have to remove the engine first.

If anybody here has any experience with having freeze plugs replaced
on their 81-83 let me know, some advice would be great. The mechanic
told me it would be about $800 in labor plus about $50 or so in
parts, even though i know i can buy the plugs for about 10 dollars...

What should I do? Is he correctly in saying the engine needs to come
out?

Thanks