IML: Freeze plugs on 81

Ok, just had my car taken to a shop to be inspected.

The guy checked out the undercarriage and we both saw that every one of my freeze plugs are bad, ranging from pretty corroded, to just starting to corrode. He tells me that the way the frame is built, they would need to actually remove the engine in order to replace them all. Most of them seem removable where they are, but a couple are behind the frame.. He tells me that with this car, the bracket is built into the frame and they'd have to remove the engine first.

If anybody here has any experience with having freeze plugs replaced on their 81-83 let me know, some advice would be great. The mechanic told me it would be about $800 in labor plus about $50 or so in parts, even though i know i can buy the plugs for about 10 dollars...

What should I do? Is he correctly in saying the engine needs to come out?

Thanks