Re: IML: 81 shifting issues

My 2 cents.

I have a 1981 that had the same issue this spring after it had sat for a about 5 weeks.  It would not go into reverse for a few seconds and when it did, it shook the car. I also had the 'thump" .  I drove the car on a 200 mile round trip and the issues stopped until it sat for a week and the issues came back.
 I drove the car everyday for a few weeks and the issue went away.  I had my mechanic change the transmission fluid and it has not happened, even if the car is not used for a few weeks.
Bill Longest
81,83
Matthew Gill <mgill3@xxxxxxx> wrote:
Thanks! I agree with you completely, i've heard stories of people
going through their car and fixing all sorts of things BEFORE fixing
the part that only cost a few dollars to replace.

I've got an excellent mechanic to take the car to as soon as he's got
time next month, so i'll have the whole thing checked out. I really
would love to keep this car forever so i'll get it back up to spec
and hopefully things work out for me.