But, when i first got the car the fluid looked like that anyways, so i'm not sure what to think.

What kind of problems may I have if the fluid looks brownish and smells burned?

Matt

On Dec 5, 2006, at 12:41 AM, john sadowski wrote:

The burning smell is not a good sign. Could be you just spilled a little on the manifold & its burning off, no problem. If you check the trans dip stick & the fluid is brownish & smells burned, big problem. I'd get that U-joint taken care of before it breaks & does some damage also.
John
----- Original Message ----- From: "Matthew Gill" <mgill3@xxxxxxx>
Sent: Monday, December 04, 2006 11:22 PM
Subject: IML: 81 trans burn smell

Ok,

After i put about half a quart of trans fluid in the car, the fluid level was OK, but i knew there was still a leak. I just drove the car, although i probably shouldn't have, unless it was straight to the mechanic, but it was a short distance to a friends house, and i was curious as to how the car would react a day after putting more fluid in. Well, it must have all leaked out again because the car just didn't want to shift... Anyway, I checked the fluid while i was at his house to see where it was at, low and behold it looked to be even LOWER than the last time... well, i drove it back home (which is a fairly short trip) and didn't think it would be a big deal, but i did smell burning trans fluid on my way back, so i took it easy and didn't push it or anything. I got home just fine with no trans grinding or any noises from the trans at all, so i don't think it's a big deal, but just wondering if somebody could tell me whether or not the burning smell was a big deal or not, since i'm not exactly sure.

I did however, hear all sorts of noises from the rear end. It sounds to me like one of the joints are all worn out and rattling around back there. At times i didn't hear anything, but going over dips in the road (at a slow speed even) i hear the metal grinding noise from the rear end. One time i even felt distinct vibration coming directly from the rear end. Currently, i've got my rear seats out because i was going to do some stereo work, as well as seat reconditioning etc, but i haven't done that yet because i'm more worried about the mechanicals, so i was able to hear everything pretty clearly.

So, seems to me that the U joints (at least the rear one) is DEFINITELY in bad shape, and i need to get that replaced, along with just buying a trans tune-up kit and having that done, so it'll hold it's fluid.

Just writing to get any tips or opinions from a lot of you who are much more knowledgeable. And no, I'm not going to move that thing until it's going right to the mechanic.. I've got another half quart of fluid to dump in it when i have to do that.

The help is always appreciated
-Matt