Re: IML: 81 trans burn smell

Hi Matthew,

Buying a deeper pan won't hurt for sure, but on the other hand..
Why wouldn't Chrysler have done that when they assembled the car many
years ago?

The burning smell is definetely an indication that your fluid has
overheated and with regard to that: have you checked the lines that are
running to the transmission oil cooler? I am talking about the lower part
of your radiator, the transmission fluid lines may be blocked you see.
Just a thought.

But with regard to your question, I think your theory is right. A deeper
pan holds more fluid, and more fluid has a better cooling effect.

I think those deeper pans are ment for cars that are used in heavy traffic
with many stops and low speeds (like a taxi for e.g.), at low speeds the
cooling effect of the air won't do much to cool the pan with fluid. It
might also be wise to use a deeper pan when you frequently use the car for
towing a trailer.

You will find a nice one here: http://www.440source.com/trans.htm
And it won't cost you an arm an a leg! (about $25), it looks great
(chrome) and just because it looks that great (and having a better cooling
capacity) I am thinking about it to get one myself :)

Good luck,

Robert