Re: IML: carpet replacement

 hi i need carpet set for my 64 there is classic carpets out there any feed back on this?
and what about the kick panel peices i dont think they come with it? any feed back
please before i but it but my carpet is kaputt!!!!!! its rotted badley thanks guys and girls.b.

Pete Engel <peter.engel@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Tom,

You want to run a die on the seat mounting studs before you try to loosen
the nuts. Otherwise the nuts will jam on rust and/or undercoating and the
studs will break off. That definitely will ruin your day. I can't remember
the correct size die at the moment. 1/4-20? 5/16-18?

As far as replacement carpeting, I've worked on a lot of cars in the past 30
years and I have yet to find any replacement carpet that come even close to
matching the factory stuff. Some replacement carpet is better than others
but I've never been happy with any of it. I've tried everything from
Carlisle vendors to ACC. A lot of the preformed stuff is a joke.

Be prepared for the fact that the replacement carpeting will not have jute
padding attached or it will be a poor excuse for the original stuff. Get a
can of spray adhesive, pull the old stuff off your original carpeting, and
transfer it. Also, the replacement stuff usually isn't punched for seat
belt bolts or seat mounting holes. Use your old carpeting as a pattern.

If anyone out there has found a supplier that truly makes original
style/quality carpeting I'd sure like to know about it.

Pete in PA