From: dansgarage@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: RE: IML:Oil pan magnets
Date: Wed, 6 Dec 2006 15:52:41 -0800

Hi DAve!...about the oil filter....do you just
cut the magnetic-sign material so that it will
wrap around the outside of the filter and thyem
make sure its on nice and smooth??? I didn't
think that material was string enough to
actually attract some of those 'nasty' pieces
of metal through the casing of the oil
filter?!...if so, as you say, this is a GREAT
idea!! I also had heard about using the magnets
in the oil and tranny pans but never quite got
around to doing anything with that tip....I
will definitely try it though when I change the
oil in the Imperials next time (and the
Expedition also!) Thanks bunches!!!!
Dan Melnik

---- sosmi@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

=============
Ok, Dan, I'll give you another TRICK, most
newer trans pans have a ring magnet in the pan,
from the factory. 81 FSM, states it does. If
you want to, you can take an old speaker, or
some other magnet and simply put it on the
bottom of the pan, near front right-hand
corner. We also put one on the engine oil pan,
near the drain plug.One more, is we use some
magnetic sign material, around the oil
filter.Since the oil pump sees the nasty stuff
first, this helps save the pump from extra
wear.Reuse the filter magnet, after oil
change.Ya'll have a nice day, Dave.

From: "Rob P"