Sent: Saturday, December 09, 2006 3:12 PM
Subject: RE: IML: Rear drum pulling made easy

Kenyon is correct - the tapered axle design depends on the friction between the tapered axle end and the cone shaped inner surface of the hub to prevent the hub from moving on the axle end under the terrific torque of the engine
- if you lubricate these surfaces, you will sooner or later break the tip
off the axle, in addition to causing noise every time you reverse the
polarity of the torque applied to the rear wheels. This will also wear out
the woodruff key rapidly, ruining the inner mating groove in the hub.

The shop manual on most cars with this design makes this point very strongly
- NEVER lubricate this surface - just assemble the parts dry and clean.

Difficulty in getting the hub off is usually caused by an inadequate tool,
or poor procedure. Using steady force on the puller center hex is the wrong way to go - the proper way is to apply impact force to the "dogbone" shaped
knocker handle that comes with the tool, using a 3 pound hammer and strong
blows.   Heating the hub of the drum will also help, but usually isn't
required.  If the tool isn't up to the job, see if you can find a Snap-On
brand puller at your local tool rental yard, - and allow the car to sit with
the enormous pulling force on it overnight - often the temperature cycle
will cause the hub to pop loose in the middle of the night!

Often jacking up the opposite side of the car, then, taking advantage of the
play in the parts, pulling out on the opposite wheel and then slamming it
back into the car will transmit enough shock through the axle to cause the
subject hub to pop loose, if it has enough force on it.

Dick Benjamin