IML: (1962) Dashboard Voltage Regulator

Dear Imperialists,

 From postings on this list, it sounds like I need to replace the
dashboard voltage regulator on my 1962 Imperial before I start driving
it to prevent from frying the gauges.  What is the easiest way to get to
the dashboard voltage regulator?  The FSM says it’s behind the
temperature gauge.  Do I have to take the whole instrument cluster out?
  When I look under the dash I can’t see the back of the gauges.  The
fuse block and a heater hose appear to be in the way, so I’m not sure I
can get to the gauges from underneath.

Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Graham Quimby
1962 Caramel Crown Coupe