IML: Foggy Windows '63 Imperial

I recently read a post from someone about fogged up windows on a mid '60s Imperial. I didn't reply since there was plenty of stuff posted, but got an idea today.

I was on the road in my '63 in the rain, and yes the windows got fogged up. I turned on the defroster out of habit, but nothing happened, if anything it got worse. I then remembered that the ducts in the dash that connect to the defroster vents had fallen off and were not putting air onto the inside of the windshield. The connection is a molded plastic piece that is rectangular at the top where it mates to the vent, and round on the bottom where it mates to the duct. This plastic loses shape over the years and falls off the vent. It can be fixed by removing the vent, and replacing the plastic connections, or figuring out a way to reattach the old ones, which doesn't solely depend on the shape of the plastic to hold it in place, maybe glue.

I believe that all 1961 through '66 may have this arrangement. I am posting this because I don't think I have seen anything about it here before. If everything else is working okay, it may not occur to the driver to feel the vent with his hand to determine if air is coming through or not. It is easy to panic when suddenly the windows are foggy and you can't see going down the road in the rain at night.

In the rain today, I was okay with an open window, and the vent panes opened on both sides. I also purchased some Fog-gone for the interior windows at a service station for the ride home in the dark. It really helped. There are lots of reasons for fogged up windows, and no effect from the defrost. This is another one that is specific to our cars.

Paul W.