IML: Oil burning

Hi gang, in a previous post about "The Black Bitc_!!" and her addiction
to motor oil; I expressed a belief that oil was cheaper than an
overhaul. While that belief still holds, pride appears to have no price,
I just couldn't drive a car that smoked on deceleration. Her engine came
apart 2 weeks ago and is receiving an overhaul. The exhaust valve stems
were worn 20 thousandths, the seats were OK but she got hardened inserts
anyway, along with all new guides. Bores were within spec. for taper and
out of round, you could get away with almost anything back then, max.
taper spec. is .009 and she only had .007. On newer engines .002" is
about all you can get away with.

Well I installed Hastings moly rings, Egge Machine valves and guides and
FelPro gaskets. I am waiting for Egge to get back to me as they don't
specify intake or exhaust on their pushrods, yes Virgina they are
different, and 6 of the exhaust one look like pencils instead of ball
points.

Well so much for if it appears to run well and doesn't seem to smoke
when you run it before a restoration leave well enough alone. However I
did get 2 years of fun out of it before having to spend more money.
Total cost without my labor, about 1100 dollars. "Merry Christmas
Honey!!"

Merry Christmas to all and to all a good night!

Ernie and "The Black Bitc_!!"