Re: IML: overdrive torqueflite and stall speed

I expressed interest in adding an o/d to my "feeble" small block 80's Imperials. First of all, there is no reason it would be a mistake. As long as you lower the rear gear you will end up with the best of both worlds as far as mpg and accelleration. I was the one that brought up the highway gears and stated I would be changing them. BTW, my '83 is a small block car and probably has more hp than 95% of the Imperials out there-it's got a Magnum 360. I understand where you're coming from, but you lose nothing by adding the o/d since the lower gears are identical just with the addition of 4th.

Rob

From: sosmi@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: IML: overdrive torqueflite and stall speed
Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2006 01:12:15 +0000

Interesting, but somewhat misleading. First the Lock-up converters do not retrofit to 727's, the trans would not be slipping, in over-drive only the torque converter, and that amount of slippage is NEVER at stall speed.It would never be as much, as a car, or truck pulling a boat, or travel trailer.Thats why you add trans coolers.No doubt adding the over-drive to an 80's Imp would be a mistake, they were already feeble enough.Most members that expressed interest in OD. have big block motors, they make peak torque at 2000-2600 rpm. Peak torque, is always the best rpm to run an engine at, its usually most fuel efficient too. Ya'll have a nice day, Dave

Stay up-to-date with your friends through the Windows Live Spaces friends list. http://clk.atdmt.com/MSN/go/msnnkwsp0070000001msn/direct/01/?href=http://spaces.live.com/spacesapi.aspx?wx_action=create&wx_url=/friends.aspx&mk