Re: IML: 73 overheating, II

Jerry, another thought, depending on the style of t-stat, many (not all) have a small passage at the valve seat, this vents the air trapped in the block, if your style t-stat has no passage in it , it would be possible to refill the radiator, and leave air trapped in the block. I drill a small hole in the t-stat base, about 1/8", this makes filling, and purging air much quicker. The other note is, fill and then start the engine, do not put the rad. cap on, until the temp is normal, and water movement is seen in the rad. Ya'll have a nice day, Dave.

From: sosmi@xxxxxxxxxxx
Jerry, is there any chance the t-stat is installed up-side down? your radiator would really have to be junk, if it is that blocked.Water pump failures, are usually a leak, from the seal. The impeller would have to fall off, not to pump.I've seen new defective t-stats, take it out, as a test and see if you have water flow then. Dave.

From: jhplc@xxxxxxxxxxx
Thanks listers for your answers..

I think it could be the water pump, as after the motor heats up, I still
can't feel water running through the upper hose..(it's easy to squeeze the
hose), the lower hose is new and not collapsed.. and the 2 heater hoses running to the servo have no water in them .(the servo is stuck on "cold", no hot air in car, fan on 1 speed, but that's
another story).. and one of them got hot enough to melt the black plastic
alternator connector wire housing slightly...I will also check the radiator. too...

Jerry
HOT 73