NOS Parts; was Re: IML: Dashpots

gkitterma@xxxxxxx wrote:
The number on the box is 1538 426 and was unopened when I rec'd it. Bingo! Looks as though someone slipped a ringer in there sometime in the last half century :0)
Gary and everyone,

This situation reminds me of something I've been noticing for a few years now.  On several occasions, and especially on eBay, I have bought "NOS" parts that have turned out to be less than satisfactory.  In some instances, the wrong part has been in the wrong box (which sounds like what has happened with this dashpot), or else the part was in some way flawed.

I believe that sometimes parts were defective or flawed and were returned to the shelf at that time (30-40-50 years ago or whenever).  Now, decades later, these parts are being sold as NOS because they were in a parts inventory.  Yes, the part may technically be New Old Stock because it was never used/installed, but it was never used/installed because it was defective from the get-go.

My point here (yes, there is one!  LOL!) is to be especially careful when buying NOS parts.  "NOS" usually means "more expensive," so don't take it for granted that you'll be getting either the correct part OR a part that is in good condition.

THanks,

Elijah

Imperial Power Window Switch Repair

Find Repair & Shop Manuals, Parts Books, History & More at The Imperial Bookshelf!

  My Collection of Imperials

1965 Imperial LeBaron
  1967 Chrysler Newport Custom Sedan
  1970 Imperial LeBaron