From: sosmi@xxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Thu, 28 Dec 2006 11:52 AM
Subject: Re: IML: Coil

Spark coils are very reliable, the most common factors for failure are, over-heating, by leaving the key on for days, the oil leaking out, which is used as an insulator, and for cooling, and over-tightening in the mounting bracket, this can crush the housing, and create a short in the windings. Other wise they're just about bullet proof. During start-up, full battery voltage is supplied to the coil for maximum spark voltage, after start-up all coil current, is through the  ballast resistor. The FSM has a short explaination on the subject, if you don't believe me. Ya'll have a nice day, Dave .                                                                 &n bsp;                                                                                                    -------------- Original message --------------
From: "Steve B." <Imperial59@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Chris Strohmeyer wrote:
> Can the coil be drawing more than 6-8volts and instead draw 10-12v
if
> it were defective? I tried an old coil I had here and got the same
> voltage at the coil. Could they both be bad? How common is it that
> c oil would be bad?

You are kind of confusing terms here. Nothing "draws" voltage. Think
of voltage like water pressure. It is the push behind the
electricity.
The higher the voltage the harder the push. Very simplistic view but
it
might help.

In 20 something years of playing with old cars I have had exactly one
bad coil. I do replace them with new on any old car I pick up more as
preventative maintenance than anything. I also keep a spare ballast
resistor in the glove box of every Chrysler product I have ever
owned.
If you swapped the ballast resistor and coil and still have the exact
same issue then I would say you have pretty much eliminated them as a
culprit. Could still be ignition related though... bad points or a
condenser that is breaking down could cause this problem.

Steve B.

----------------- http://www.i mperialclub.com -----------------