Sent: Thursday, December 28, 2006 9:42 PM
Subject: Re: IML: air cleaner

I hear K@N makes a filter without needing the metal housing! It's all air filter. I can't imagine it not boosting your HP. I wonder if those were smog only air cleaners in California? I read a 1967 review of the Imperial that said they were surprized at the lack of HP compared the the previous year. I wonder if this and the 5 degrees before TDC timing instead of 12-1/2 BTC is there way of cutting emissions...and HP.

Chris
----- Original Message ----- From: "Ken Lang" <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thursday, December 28, 2006 8:12 PM

My 68 New Yorker (owned many years ago) had the same air cleaner design. It didn't make sense to me how enough air could get through that small opening especially when you compare it to hugh opening in the top of the carburetor.

So to allow more air to get in I flipped the entire air cleaner over and
drilled a string of 1/2" diameter holes around the bottom just outside of
the filter element. Once the air cleaner was back in place the holes were
not visible and all air that came through the new holes still had to go
through the filter element.

To be quite honest, I don't know if I improved anything or not.  The car
still ran like a spotted ape and still got 10 mpg.

Ken
67 Crown 4 Dr Ht