Re: IML: 1964 Imperial Lebaron Limousine, the Kennedy's vs. 1965 Lincol

Re: IML: 1964 Imperial Lebaron Limousine, the Kennedy's vs. 1965 Lincoln : TOWN BROUGHAM PROTOTYPE CONCEPT FORMAL LIMO

Hi Bill and other Imperial-vs-Lincoln and Engel enthusiasts like myself,

While I know Mrs Kennedy seemed to enjoy her Imperial, the official
presidental fleet had been Lincolns for years and remained so until the
Reagan-era switchover to Cadillacs. I don't know we can be so sure this is
why the proposal was declined, as the Kennedys did not reject the other
Lincolns in the fleet, merely spent their own money on the Imperial.

Chrysler officially had nothing to do with the attempted resurrection of
Deusenberg in the 1960s. Former Chrysler stylist Virgil Exner had long since
departed by the time he penned this new car, and the company was the
independent effort of Fritz ("Fred") Duesenberg, son of August and nephew of
Fred Duesenberg (the original brothers). The new model was to use an
Imperial's 440, and the prototype is apparently based on an Imperial, but
the production car would not be. In other close connection, however, Ghia
would build the bodies.

I agree the Comet looks like a (Valiant) Barracuda. Not sure what a BMW C-6
is. Do you mean a 6-series, from 1980-ish?

There's actually other stuff that puzzles me about this "entirely original"
auction car (NOTE: There is no further Imperial content in my posting, so
please reply to the Salon or offlist).

First, the same sentence says the paint and chrome have been redone. Well,
then why not detail the rusty engine and re-do the cracked leather front
seat and ratty floor carpet...

Second, the opera light on the B-pillar changes design between the auto show
photos and the later photos (actually, it changes once before, in the 3-car
shot). Not saying it's incorrect, but a curious running detail change. The
on in the 1964 show pictures looks a bit clunky, actually!

If the car was updated to 1965 trim (unfortunate, in my opinion, as the '64
nose is much more distinctively Lincoln and Engel) and at the same time
repainted by Ford to a darker color, why was the car repainted in the 1964
color? (Or is this is the 1965 color? Hard to tell, since I doubt it's as
vibrant as it appears in the underhood shots.) But where are the pinstripes
visible in the one auto-show turntable shot of the 1965 version, especially
near the parking and taillamps?

Who added the little outside mirror, I wonder?

Any concept car is a one-of-a-kind treasure, and an Engel-design based
concept would be a dream for me. But I cannot imagine asking $2mil and not
getting every detail perfect, or leaving everything 100% untouched, nothing
in between...

Just my thoughts!

Chris in LA
67 Crown