Re: IML: engraved dash name plates

I have seen several of these plates, and I'm not sure where they came from, but they were often affixed to the dash when the car was purchased. I think they may have been a dealership's way or a salesman's way of thanking a repeat customer. I remember a '68 LeBaron in North Carolina that I nearly bought that was special ordered and the grandchildren of the original owner told me that the car came with the plaque "from the factory" (?) because this particular guy had bought several Imperials in the past.

I have been selling cars for 2 years now and I've only done this once for a customer who requested it. The car was for his daughter and so I had a local engraving shop make up a small plaque to put on the dash for her. But I'm pretty sure some of the plaques on Imperials came from the factory, or at least from the dealer.

I think this is another example of the unique relationship people used to have with their cars that no longer exists. Who feels any special attachment to their Toyota/Honda/whatever-mobile in 2007?

Mark