IML: Sticky 1947 engine

I rehabbed a 1916 Model T that had been rebuilt and
promptly left to sit since 1970.

The practice for dealing with that was:

Drain the crankcase.
Remove spark plugs.
Fill crankcase with Kerosene to reg oil level.
Crank engine (manually on a T) 200 times.
-I'd do more with an electric starter, but in spurts
to avoid overheating the starter motor.
Drain Kerosene and replace with 30-weight oil (T's std
oil).

Run engine - heat will vaporize Kerosene.
I changed the oil again after minimal use just to be
certain.

This may or may not work for 1947's, and I can't
comment further.

---

That said, I'd try it on a 1947 too, but I'd also
presume that it was an attempt to cheat the fact that
the engine was gummed up and needed a rebuild.

Bottom line:  You have an old car that has not run in
regular service for decades, and is consequently only
a shadow of its former self.  To get a car that is
dependable and correct, you'll probably have to take
it apart and rebuild it.  That goes for most of the
major systems in the car.

If you elect to repair things as they appear, I
predict that you will go through a process of
sequentially failing parts that give up the ghost
because they are 60 years old and were never meant to
be resurrected after sitting for so long.  Plan
accordingly.

I regard each of my cars that still has original
equipment as essentially a car that I just haven't
rebuilt yet.  When one fails, I just don't get
surprised anymore.  The rebuilt stuff sometimes is
inferior quality, so I'm just reducing the odds with a
new part, not eliminating them.  That's the deal that
we all sign on for...

Your engine needs dis-assembly and a rebuild.  Presume
that, and any failures that come from the Kerosene
thing or other tricks that you might try won't be a
shock.

I bet that the Kerosene thing will work, especially if
you take the head off and pour Kerosene down each
valve guide, but I'd have to be looking at the engine
to comment further.

--- Mark Battesby <a1web@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> This car use to run great  but after sitting for 8
> years I am having a ton of problems. My main concern
> right now is its running really rough. I opened
> those viewing windows and saw that I have two valves
> stuck open. This is what I don't get. I can see them
> being stuck closed but opened ? aren't they under
> spring pressure to close ? what would cause them to
> stay open. I all ready pulled the head cleaned the
> seats rotated the cam by hand till the valves were
> all working. Put it all back together and it ran
> great for 10 minutes . then really rough again. It
> sounds like the valves are open again. Any quick
> fixes like thin or thick oil any tricks anyone has .
> I need to drive this car cause I am still trying to
> loosen the rear hubs

Kenyon Wills