RE: IML: 64 Iml Winshield Channel Molding

RE: IML: 64 Iml Winshield Channel Molding

If "channel moulding" is the rubber gasket that holds
the glass in, then yes, I've tried it.

If not, then disregard the following cause that's what
I presume it is.

The windscreen opening on the 1955 that everyone saw
here was pretty fuggled even after I got done with it,
at least compared to what it was supposed to be.

I got generic cut-to-fit from Andy Bernbaum and had
the  glass guys use that.  It worked (and would have
worked for a motorhome or any other vehicle, for that
matter), but was very inflexible and challenging to
work with.

That was OK in my case, since I was having to bridge
some serious gaps and actually needed the bulkier
style for that unique situation, which is why I used
it...

The rubber on 1957-66 cars is protected under
stainless and does not wear out in general.  If you
have a bad one, and I'd be really surprised if you do,
you would do better to find another used one off of
another car and use that.

Since the gasket is a PART, you can go to the club
website and look in the PARTS section for vendors
(nobody carries the original item, I think) or for
Salvage Yards.  I'm willing to bet that both Bob and
Lowell at least have sold more glass than rubber, or
could afford to remove a windscreen to get the rubber.

I may have access to some if they don't pan out, but
we really should be supporting the folks that support
us first...

This is the same stuff that we discussed here as being
almost infinitely re-usable and capable of being
opened with a butter knife.  Write me off-list if you
missed that and the warning from Richard about what
happened when he tried the DIY route.

-Kenyon

Kenyon Wills