Re: IML: Exner's 64 Imperial

The 'S' (engineering department model year code for 1962) was to have been
Exner's replacement for the Forwardlook.  They were designed after he came
back from his time off due to his heart attack and was also meant to put his
atamp back on Chrysler styling.  And the new look was intended to put
himself firmly in charge of the styling department after William Schmidt had
the run the show in his absence.

All articles on thses models have stated they were Exner's creations.  At
this point in time, 1960, Exner had no intention of leaving, and to be quite
blunt, Exner had no intention of leaving until the day he was informed by
Chrysler management he would be leaving Chrysler.   The downsized 1962
Plymouths and Dodges were a sales disaster, something Chrysler management
realized about a year before the cars actually went into production.
Chrysler management had to point the finger of blame at someone, and as the
management group that approved the downsizing was gone, the blame fell fully
on the shoulders of the man in charge of the styling  - Virgil Exner.  Thus
he was informed his services would no longer be required and Elwood Engel
was hired away from Ford.   (Which cost Ford styling VP, George Walker, his
job when Henry II found out he suggested Engel to Lynn Townsend as a
replacement for Exner.  Turns out HFII was a great admirer of Engel's work.)
.

The 1963 Chrysler Corporation line up was also done under Exner - he did not
leave Chrysler until the fall of 1961.   A car's styling pretty much has to
be finalized about a year before production as it takes that amount of time
to produce the tools and dies to make the body parts.  Samller itmes such as
grilles, taillights, trim and the like do not need as long a period before
production begins for approval.

The proposed 1962 Imperial in the photo became the basis for the 1963
Chrysler.   The wheelbase on both models was 122".   Although the original
plan for the "S" series Chrysler car lines was to have full-size Plymouths,
Darts and Polaras,  both the New Yorker and the Imperial were to be placed
on the Newport/300 wheelbase of 122".   The Imperial was to use the basic
Chrysler body with its own unique front clip, rear quarters, doors  and rear
window.    Given the time involved, and the amout of available, modifying
the proposed 1962 Imperial was the quickest and cheapest route to go.   The
new 1963 Chrysler retained the floor pan, cowl, windshield and flat style
side window glass of the 1960-62 Chryslers.

When Elwood Engel arrived at Chrysler in the fall of 1961, Chrysler stylist
Jeffery Godshall was given the job of taking him up to the styling
department.   According to Mr. Godshall, upon seeing the upcoming 1963
models, Elwood Engel asked what was the problem.   In his opinion  the 1963
models were fine looking cars.

Mr. Godshall has written many articles on Chrysler products and their
styling.  He arrived at the end of the Exner era and knew many of the
stylists and engineers who had worked during the Exner era.   In every
discussion on the cars of the 1961-63 era, Mr. Godshall has written Exner
was the man in charge.   And artivles on stylists who had worked at Chrysler
during that era have also ackowledge that Exner was in charge until Elwood
Engel walked in the door in the fall of 1961.

Bill
Vancouver, BC