RE: IML: Safety- Old cars vs New cars

New cars today have what's called crumple-zones designed to absorb energy
while bringing the car to a stop.  The passengers have a better chance of
surviving unscathed but the vehicle gets totaled in the process.

The technology was invented on the race trace in the early days of racing.
Car builders found they could build a car that would withstand a high speed
impact with no problem.  But once you strapped a driver in place with a
five-point harness it became a death trap.  Early race car drivers died in a
crash from internal injuries suffered during extreme deceleration.
Basically their internal organs got rearranged.

The same theory is applied to games at a family picnic like tossing water
balloons back and forth.  Extreme deceleration will cause the water balloon
to break.  That's why you reach for the balloon as high as you can and use
the 6 or 7 feet (depending on your height) at your disposal to bring the
balloon to a gradual stop.

Granted, our old Imperials are built like tanks but anything over 30 MPH
you're probably safer in a new car.

Just my .02

Ken
67 Crown 4 Dr Ht (needs a turn signal switch)
68 LeBaron 4 Dr Ht (also needs a turn signal switch)