Sent: Sunday, January 14, 2007 9:56 AM
To: IML (main)
Subject: Re: IML: Safety- Old cars vs New cars

OK, I was gonna stay out of this one but it?s physics lesson time!

Speed before impact has very little to do with it. After all, we brake
casually from 70 mph without drama all the time, but yes, Anthony, speed AT
impact has plenty to do with it.

The main thing to consider in any collision is the deceleration rate: the
change in speed (speed before impact minus speed after, usually zero)
divided by the time it takes to do it. There are three things that
decelerate in a collision:
1. Your car?s body after it hits something
2. Your own body against whatever stops it (dashboard, windshield, seat
belt, deflating air bag)
3. Your internal organs against your rib cage (and this is what causes most
life-threatening injury)

Thinking about it, you?ll realize you cannot change items 1 and 3 right
before an accident occurs. You?re going as fast as you?re going, and your
innards are where they are. So there are systems in modern cars (crumple
zones, air bags, seat-belt force limiters, to name the most prominent) that
serve to add time to item 2, YOUR BODY?S deceleration (not your car?s)
effectively reducing the overall deceleration rate and decreasing the risk
and/or severity of injury.

Crumple zones allow the passenger cabin to make a softer stop than, say, the
front bumper, and help to dissipate impact forces more evenly throughout the
car body. And an air bag does its job by DEflating, thereby increasing the
TIME it takes you to stop, which has the same result on the deceleration
rate as reducing the speed at impact. It fully inflates (or is supposed to)
BEFORE you contact it. Cars are also better designed to handle other
impacts, like striking a pole, as well as rear, side and rollover
collisions.

And what Mark McD said about active safety and accident avoidance is also a
huge factor. After all, the most survivable collision is the one avoided.

So, without question, NO, your old car is not as safe as a new car. It might
show less damage after it plows through a Kia, and it might cause more harm
to the Kia (overtaxing its crumple zones and intruding on the Kia occupants?
survival space), but that just makes your old, rigid car more of a danger to
the Kia, not really a better protector of you.

The 90 Imperial had a single air bag, not air bags, but at least it has
early crumple zones (for Chrysler, the German side of the company invented
them in 1951 and has evolved them for more than 50 years) and 3-point seat
belts for the front-seat occupants. Modern cars have multiple, smarter bags
and typically more advanced seats belts with 3-point harnesses for at least
the front and rear outboard occupants (nearly all new cars provide one for
the middle rear now, too).

And by the way, speed limits were higher back in the 50s and 60s!

Drive safely!

Chris in LA
67 Crown
78 NYB Salon