Re: IML: Speedometer cable and Pinion Gear for 61

Re: IML: Speedometer cable and Pinion Gear for 61

  When I spin the speedometer cable at the tranny end the speedometer works fine. I am going to replace the cable anyway because the outer jacket has a hole in it that will let dirt inside the cable. The hole is right where the cable bends up to clear a crossmember to enter the transmission. I think the extra friction at this section of cable caused the gear damage. The FSM lists a 17-Red pinion. I pulled out a white gear , a danco 1-16.
                                                                                                        Frank

randalpark@xxxxxxx wrote:
As I recall, the gear is color coded, so I would trust comparing it to
the FSM on that basis rather than counting teeth. There were minor
differences in some years of the transmission used in Imperials, but I
think late '56 through 1961 T.F.'s were all the same. The gear might
still be available new from Chrysler, but I'd check with Imperial
Heaven first.

Also, if the gear ratio in the differential was changed, the
speedometer gear may have been changed to match. There might be a tag
or other identification on the differential to identify it. Most people
don't change them, so you probably don't have to worry about it. From
the factory, Imperials could have come with either the standard
differential or the Sure Grip. I don't know if both used the same
speedometer gear or not. The FSM should specify with or without Sure
Grip if there is a difference. If the third member was changed by a
subsequent owner, then anything may have been done.

Just a guess, but based on what's been posted, I still suspect a cable
problem rather than a problem with that gear.

Good luck with that.

Paul W.