Re: IML: IML FEELING SAFE

Personally, I feel safer in an older car than a newer one.  It seems to me that, although the passenger areas of newer cars may be made of reinforced steel, have air bags, etc., a small fender-bender can cause expensive damage to a newer car.  I had a minor fender-bender in my 1983 Volvo station wagon a couple of years ago and had NO damage to my vehicle.  The other car had over $1,000.00 worth of damage.

The other thing about newer cars, is all the computer equipment they have.  Someone can be driving down the highway, and if a computer component fails, it's "lights out."  No warning or anything.  I had a co-worker who bought a 2002 Cadillac, brand new, that just died on the highway whenever he took his foot off the accelerator.  The dealership couldn't find the problem and GM finally told them just to replace every computer on the car, although they didn't think that was the problem.

I've seen ads for 1981-1983 Imperials and the 1990-1993 Imperials where the owners had replaced the digital dashboards entirely.  On analog dashboards, from my experience, it's usually just a wiring problem and it's fixed.

Sometimes the K.I.S.S. rule applies, even in a luxury car.  Just because the technology exists to do something doesn't always mean it's a good idea.