Re: IML: 67 LeBaron brakes

> Then shouldn't your fixed calipers feel firmer than
> my floating ones, not softer?

I don't know how either would compare.

> And yes, an American luxury car from this era
> certainly has less steering
> feedback than a concurrent European car, but
> Chryslers were probably the
> most communicative of the Big Three. I remember

Possibly...I only have experience with Mopars of this
era, and European cars.

> being amused by friend's
> Fords of that era where you could actually "throw"
> the steering wheel like a
> ship's wheel and it was so over-assisted that the
> wheel would keep going a
> quarter-turn or more. Can't do that on any of my

A friend of mine did have a '65 Mercury.  I never
drove in it, but did ride in it from time to time and
I do recall some ship-like handling qualities.  ;)

> The only all-drum car I have is my '63 Dart and it's
> manual everything
> except for the pushbutton Torqueflite, but even its
> steering and brakes
> require fairly modest effort and provide excellent
> feedback.

I, too have a '63 Dart (convertible) and the manual
drum brakes work OK, except that they tend to pull to
the right.  Does your Dart have power steering?  Mine
does, and it is fairly light.  I've never seen a Mopar
without P/S, except for my '77 Dodge pickup.

--Mike Pittinaro

'To Engineer' was never meant to signify poking around with a mouse on a Nintendo-on-steroids computer system.

'It's a shallow life that doesn't give a person a few scars'
-- Garrison Keillor