IML: Please Welcome Jim Lorenzen

New Subscriber(s): Jim Lorenzen
Email Address is: jdlpdx@xxxxxxxxxxx
Member Location: Portland, OR

Car(s) owned: 1960 Crown 4dr Southampton (Glacier Blue with white leather)

Self-Introduction: I bought this car in 1970 from the local (Portland, OR) Mercedes-Benz dealer for $300.  It was originally from the SF Bay area and had a little over 55,000 miles on the odometer. I was 22.  In 1972 I was coming home from a party in Beaverton and as I was coming around a bend I found a 1968 Chev Impala in my lane (the far right) I tried to jump the curb but it was too high and we hit.  Even though the Imperial had factory seat belts, I wasn't wearing them (for the last time) and I flew all over the inside of that car and wound up in the hospital.  A week later my dad took me out to the lot where my car and the Chevy both were.  The 68 Impala was a mess.  The front end wasn't recognizable  and the engine had been shoved back to the front seat.  Fortunately the driver of the Chevy WAS wearing his seat belt and walked away.  As for the 1960 Imperial.... If it wasn't for the fact that the motor mounts had broken alowing the fan to chew into the radiator I could have dri
he bill came to (needless to say his insurance was the big loser) the only thing that needed to be done to the Imp was a new front bumper, grill, left front fender, radiator and (of course) motor mounts. That Imperial was more or less my daily driver until about 1982. The only reason I got something else was the tailights got vandalized a couple of times and I became concerned about replacement body parts. That car was/is truly amazing. It only "broke down" a couple of times and both times it was minor and it got me home. In 1994 I put it into storage in a friend's barn where it has sat ever since. But this Spring, I think I bring her home start work on the restoration I "promised" 37 years ago. I was going to start a year or so ago but "life" intervened. Now I think (I hope) the time is right! I found out about this website from an article in Hemmings Classic Car magazine. I am blown away! Thanks
Jim