From: DickB@xxxxxxxxx
Sent: Tue, 23 Jan 2007 8:22 PM
Subject: Re: IML: rear end noise

I doubt the oil will have any effect on the noise. If you were having trouble with the limitted slip feature, I'd say to try changing the fluid, but the pinion bearing relies only on the proper adjustment and adequate lubrication - so I don't think that is the answer for you. Of course it couldn't hurt anything if you want to try.

I don't know where to obtain the right lubricant, but I suspect any auto parts store will have it. If you want to be sure to get the right stuff, order it by MOPAR part number - the number should be in your shop manual under lubricants - look in the rear axle chapter.

The fact that this is a repeat problem with the unit suggests that you would be wiser to simply replace the center section of the axle - contact one of the used parts vendors on the IML list for a quote. These just about NEVER wear out, I would not be at all afraid to buy a used unit, so long as it is full of grease and never rusted. You may not find another limitted slip unit, but I doubt that is important to you - it makes no difference unless you are into drag racing, or drive in slippery conditions a lot.

Dick Benjamin

----- Original Message ----- From: "Chris Strohmeyer" <chrisstroh@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Tuesday, January 23, 2007 7:11 PM

Thx all,

Dick, this only has 10k miles on itbefore it was rebuilt with a noise
> complaint by the previous owner. I've only had the car running for about > 300 miles. I wonder if I should drain the rear end and fill it with this > special fluid? My manual says to do this and drive at least 100 miles to > see if the noise goes away. I wonder if this would make a difference and > whether the "mechanic" might of filled the rear end with 90 w gear lube?
Where can I get this special fluid?

Thx,

Chris
67 Imperial
----- Original Message ----- > From: "Dick Benjamin"
<DickB@xxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Tuesday, January 23, 2007 9:47 AM

This symptom is indicative of a worn pinion bearing .

Sure grip rear axles do require special lubricant, it is not normal
rear >> axle lubricant. However, I doubt the small amount you added would >> contribute to a pinion bearing problem. If the grease level was really >> low, however, you could have starved the bearing for oil. If the "top up" >> took less than a pint or so, I don't think that would have caused the >> problem.

You need to take the car to a differential expert and have it
evaluated.

Sent: Tuesday, January 23, 2007 9:23 AM
Subject: IML: rear end noise

Hi all,
My sure grip rear end is moaning/whirring at above 30mph. If I lift
my >>> foot slightly off the pedal it goes away completely. After looking over >>> 40 years of receipts I discovered 10 years ago and 10k miles ago the >>> rear end was completely rebuilt. I read that there's a "special oil for >>> sure grips". Isn't this just 90w gear oil? It was a little low so I >>> topped it up but no change.

Any ideas as to what this may be. I'm going to contact the former
owner >>> to see if rebuilding it actually made the noise go away.

Thx,
Chris
67 Imperial Convertible

reply >>> to mailing-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx and your response will be shared with >>> everyone. Private messages (and attachments) for the