Re: IML: Rear Axle Bearings

Dave Wilker <wilkerbeast01@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Ouch! Well, I learn something every day. So they have to be packed in grease, like the front wheel bearings?
Yep.  :o)  I always take the axles to a local machine shop to have the old bearing and outer seal pressed out, and the new ones pressed on (at $25 per axle, it's well worth it).  They grease the bearings before installing them, and then of course you grease the housing before installing the axles.

I'll have to get the pictures of the demolished ones in my '71 up on the site.  You'll be amazed . . . and it's a miracle I made it home on that trip!

Thanks,

Elijah

Imperial Power Window Switch Repair

Find Repair & Shop Manuals, Parts Books, History & More at The Imperial Bookshelf!

  My Collection of Imperials

1965 Imperial LeBaron
  1967 Chrysler Newport Custom Sedan
  1970 Imperial LeBaron