IML: Calling all engineers! Hitch system design help

IML: Calling all engineers! Hitch system design help

Now that I have the *to tow or not to tow* question answered, now I need to design the hitch!

Wanted: Class III/IV Weight distributing hitch system with dual cam sway control.

I called several local hitch dealers and although most said *notgonnadoit* I did find one guy (the most reputable) that said if I can spec how the hitch system should be fabricated, he would do the job.

My next call was to Reese…  “Sir, we don’t do that kind of thing nor do we know where to direct you.”

Questions for this group:

  1. Did the original Chrysler tow package include the hitch?
  2. Would it be possible to source one if it existed?
  3. Would there be a technical drawing of the assembly so I could have one manufactured?
  4. If given the schematic drawing of the framing in the FSM, could a fabrication shop create something for me?
  5. Is all of this (my typical) over analysis overkill and should I just go the hitch place and have them weld something to the frame?

I just like to understand what I’m doing before I do it.  In my experience, stopping to ask questions before treading into unknown territory has always paid off.

Once I get this solved, I can comfortably go about sourcing the trailer and getting outfitted given my weight restrictions.

Cheers,

Javier
1968 Imperial Convertible & 19’ Bambi International (coming soon)