From: Ken Lang
Sent: Monday, February 05, 2007 2:14 PM
Subject: RE: IML: Towing a 69 LeBaron

Fred,

I think the trailer rental companies intentionally underrate their trailer capacities.  This is probably to keep inexperienced people from getting in over their heads when towing.  If it is a tandem axle trailer with a 16? to 18? deck it should be rated by the manufacturer around 7000 lbs.

Personally, I would prefer the car be on a trailer for that many miles.

If you go the trailer route, always make sure you collapse the vehicle suspension as much as possible when chaining it down.  Don?t chain to the axle, chain to the frame.  This will help keep the cargo and trailer as one.  If you have the vehicle suspension and the trailer suspension working at the same time it can feel like you?re towing a 5000 lb water bed.

Just my .02 on the subject.

Ken