Re: IML: 66LeBaron-turn the key...IT's ALIVE!

Re: IML: 66LeBaron-turn the key...IT's ALIVE!

Congrats!!  Glad to hear it is running again!  Of
course, it is still disconcerting to not know exactly
what the problem was.  But at least as you replace old
parts with new you eliminate those as possible problem
areas.

Personally, I don't think it was the ballast resistor.
 It is by-passed during the cranking process.  If it
is bad it simply cuts the car off after it starts when
the ignition switch is turned from 'start' to 'run'.

A more likely scenario - given all the other things
you did - is the bulkhead connector.  I had a friend
who was cruising along in his 66 Dodge Monaco when the
car suddenly went dead.  No response from the key,
etc.  Turned out to be a corroded bulkhead connector.
 The whole wiring harness unplugs from the firewall.
Might be a good idea to check it out.
Barring that, the engine circuit runs through the
ammeter.  A bypass may be in order.  Ask Dick about
that possibility.

Sorry you went through all this.  But at least you
have attacked and upgraded areas of possible future
problems.

As far as running rough - make sure all your spark
plug wires are firmly attached.  On both ends.  You
may have knocked one loose along the way.

Happy motoring!

Chris

=== message truncated ===