Sent: Tuesday, February 06, 2007 6:32 PM
Subject: Re: IML: Gas Tank Drain

>What I want to do is drain the 12 year old gas from the tank and replace >it with fresh. The FSM talks about draining the tank, but >doesn't >mention how to open the drain on the bottom of the tank. Can anyone give >me some pointers on how to open the drain >without screwing it up?
Thanks in advance -

There is a plug toward the front of tank in the middle and on the bottom. It takes an Allen wrench to remove it. Be forewarned though... chances are good draining and refilling won't be good enough. Condensation in the tank over all those years tends to turn the inside of the tank in to something that looks like a scene from a cheesy horror movie. To do it right you really need to pull the tank and clean it our or have it cleaned (and maybe coated). Many radiator shops provide this service.

To "get you by" and get it running and moving under its own power you may want to use a gallon can strategically placed under the hood with a line run from the tank to the input of the fuel pump. Make sure you tie the line down good so that it can't get tangled in a belt.

                    Steve B.