From: randalpark@xxxxxxx
Sent: Wed, 7 Feb 2007 4:55 AM
Subject: Re: IML: 56 Ignition Problem

Burned points can also result from touching the contact surfaces with your fingers. Any oil or lube from the rubbing block will also burn them prematurely. Clean the surfaces thoroughly if in doubt, especially if buying NOS parts from someplace. Who knows how many times they have been out of the box and handles by some lunck head before selling them to you.

They can LOOK pretty bad and still work. Could you poor performance be due to them being improperly gapped? The setting is .015 - .018 and they both need to be the same. That can be tricky on the dual point distributor. They have to be gapped separately and only when each set is fully planted on a ridge at the rubbing block.

Normal point life is about 15,000 miles. Once you have done it a few times it isn't too bad. On '55 and '56 it is easier to remove the distributor since you then have control over the position of the point sets in relation to the rubbing block. Accuracy is imperative. Also, with the distributor mounted on the back of the motor at 15 years old I had no trouble crawling around under there, but at 55, its not easy. Just mark everything so you know where it should be when your done, and crank the engine over in the meantime.

Paul W.